Monday, May 16, 2016

If cats could talk …

I’m pretty sure that most pet owners feel they can communicate with their furry, scaly or feathered friends, and cat aficionados are no different. After all, why else would we bother having detailed and sometimes even heartfelt conversations with them?

Still, if you fancy having those daily chats in a mutual language you may not have long to wait, as a British company have developed something quite extraordinary that allows you to do just that – the Catterbox.

No, it’s not April 1st, they really have designed a collar which they claim translates your cat’s meows into a language you can actually understand.


Currently at the prototype stage, I would bet there’ll be plenty of cat fans out there willing to fund this into reality.

Myself, I’m not so sure I am ready for that. I kind of enjoy thinking I already know what every squeal, purrrrrr and meow my Ginger Pudd is conveying. He very definitely has a Star Trek commander kind of approach, think clipped instruction like this.





While dialogues with anything his size or smaller bring out a different side of his personality – the know it all - something very much like this:

                                                  [Credit: http://www.memecenter.com/]


Still, Ginger is much smarter than my previous cat, who I once found in this position:



                                                [http://www.faillol.com/]


I think she’d have said ‘I was looking for the soft serve’ if the faucet hadn’t proved to be such an impediment to speech.

I’m a little skeptical of the claim the Brit inventors of Catterbox make about meowing. Is it really a sound used exclusively for feline-human interaction? These two cuties may disagree on that score. 


Of course not all cats express themselves solely through the spoken word. I especially enjoyed reading this cat’s blog post with her opinion of the collar.

And then there are the singers, you know the type, with proud pageant parents who encourage their ‘babies’ talent and record it to share with the world.



And don’t forget the Internet famous cats that have a huge voice, and it isn’t always that of their owner! Sylvester probably has a fan club address somewhere on his impressive media resume. Here he is thinking about bacon. 



Perhaps he will get a role in the inevitable sequel to Nine Lives,the upcoming movie starring Kevin Spacey (in cat form).

My absolute favorite form of cat communication is via the wisdom of good old Grumpy Cat, especially when delivered in meme form. He’s never short of an opinion, or shy about sharing them. 

So where do you stand on the talking/singing/blogging cat communication debate? Are you likely to buy a Catterbox if it ever gets into mass production? Would you put your cat on the stage?


1 comment:

  1. I love Grumpycat. He is probably more famous than Garfield or other well known dogs.

    ReplyDelete